This hectic period began a week before we took the younge believers group to Hemmavan. We had a 5 day retreat with them to the mountians- the last chance to get in a few teachings before they had their "Confermation Day" (completion of the course). I was not able to go the previous year, so this was the first time for me as well. I had been to the camp before, on my trip to Norway last summer. So it was nice to know where I was going.Sunday, June 24, 2007
Confa hike 2007
Well, folks, it's been a while, and I appologize for my lack of blogging. Life has been so increadibly hectic this past month and a half. I have had a rutine of getting up in the wee hours of the morning and crashing in the evenngs. Life is good, just could have used an extra 10 hours per day or so! I wonder if maybe the Lord even stopped time a few times so I was able to get everything done that needed to be done!
This hectic period began a week before we took the younge believers group to Hemmavan. We had a 5 day retreat with them to the mountians- the last chance to get in a few teachings before they had their "Confermation Day" (completion of the course). I was not able to go the previous year, so this was the first time for me as well. I had been to the camp before, on my trip to Norway last summer. So it was nice to know where I was going.The whole schedule was packed with activities, teachings and food- a perfect recipy for a good retreat. We had combinded our group with a group from Kvarnåse, and a group from Kirina (way up north in Sweden). We had a kitchen staff of 3, and 6 older youth to help with activities. That freed up us leaders to prepare lessons, meet to discuss any problems and pray.
We had planned a "walk in his shoes" for friday, and that seemed to be the event that really made things start to happen. We blindfolded the youth, and guided them through a series of stations. The first one was a foot washing, then they were sent to a dark room where they were "whipped and mocked" (just the noise of a whip- never touched them). Then they were shoved to a room downstairs and tied their arms to a plank, and they heard the sound of nails being driven into wood. W splash of vinigar was put on their lips, then they were pulled up and left to "hang" a while. Then they released form the plank and taken to a room that was dark and quiet (the grave) Blindfolds were removed. then a strong light was shone into their eyes and an "angel" told them that "He is not here, He is risen. Go and meditate on what you have just experienced." They were led to a room where they could draw, paint, or sit by candled. Two leaders were there to pray with them or to talk to.
There were a few youth that were hanging on the edge of believing, and a few that were already believers, but needed to make it personal. For the ones that already had a strong faith, their faith was boosted. There were, however a few that had decided to not make a decision to follow Christ. But we see this as good as well- no more fence walking! They know what Christianity is about and didn't want to pretend. "I wish that you were either hot or cold..."
There were a lot of talks with people, a bit of follow-up. We chose two of the youth to help next year, and are looking forward to helping develope these two into leaders of tomorrow.
When we returned to "civilisation" there was a full week of preparing the last bit of the class. On Thursday there was preparing and practising for their graduation, learning the songs, geting fitted for the confirmations suits, e
tc. Saturday there was a big party. The parents, family and friends were invited in. There were over 100 people there, good food, and a lot of skits. The church was packed on Sunday morning! It was a real "WOW" factor to see so many there. I couldn't help but to think that that was how it should be- packed so there is only standing room- every Sunday!" We baptised 3 of the youth that morning, and had a cerimony for the completion of the class. "Fika" (coffee and cake) followed, and lots of people to talk to. I got home around 2 in the afternoon and CRASHED. I slept for 5 hours straight. Then I ate supper and went to bed!
There were plenty of meetings the following week, and a bunch of paper work. There was a party for the end of sunday school (10-13) and a meeting with the youth group. Then there was a meeting with the elders to report on the past 5 months, and to discuss if I would be given a permanent possition. It went well, and they seemed satisfied with the work I did. The Missions church has a new youth leader, so there have been a bunch of meetings with him to set the ground work for the next round of work, after the summer break. I am looking forward to a few of the ideas we came up with.
Well, I need to get moving. Lori- my brothers wife- is coming today, and I have a few last minute things I want to do. (Eat breakfast, shower, shave, and last minute cleaning up) Enjoy some pictures from Hemmavan and the Confirmation group. Have a good one, y'all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So good to read an update and see some pictures. Have a WONDERFUL time with Lori and Anthony.
Post a Comment