Saturday, July 07, 2007

roofing,shower, and manacures

Yesterday the neighbors started to repair their roof. There were only 2 guys working on it, so I decided to give them a hand. I knew it was going to rain in the afternoon, and that they really needed to get moving. Then I went to the garage to finish painting a motorcycle gas tank that is in. Today I hope to start the cartoon figure- betty boop- which will take quite a while. It has at least 7 different colors, and 39 small and large areas. Each area has it's own mask which needs first be places correctly, then removed to get that area painted, and replaced to protect that area from other colors. A tedious job that has many steps and takes a lot of time. That's my job!
While I was working yesterday, another customer showed up. I had repainted a moped for him last year, and he has a new project going. He wondered if I would be willing to do another moped for him. Cool! But that job won't be in fo a month or so. That is fine with me, I know he will come back.
Yesterday afternoon and evening were really painful for me. I was super tired too, and slept most of the day. I am feeling a little refreshed, but still have a bit of pain- I guess I am not as use to doing construction work as I want to believe that I am! (A long way of saying," I am NOT getting old!)
I was planning on working on the shower yesterday, but that didn't happen either. The day before I did a little. Here are the next round of pictures. After working from the bottom up, I neened to find out how far down from the roof I would go before I could not lay in a new row. This was a little more challenging, because the roof is even more uneven than the floor. So I found the lowest part of the roof and started working down from there. Working down was more challenging than working up from the floor. Than nasty thing called gravity worked against me, pulling on the tiles. I has to have the perfect amount of mud on the tiles so they would stick on the wall, but not wilt or sag. Then it was just to lay one tile after another. When I got to a pipe, I skipped over it and continued on the other side. At the end of the wall, I measured how much to cut off, layen in the right piece, and continued the next row with the part I had cut off. That ment almost no tiles to be thrown away! When I finally got down to the shower spiggot, it left a gap of almost 10 inches. That was a little bigger than I had planned, but OK! Then came the fun! I had chosen mosiac triangles that are blue and in different sizes for the floot and boarder. That is what I will be putting in the boarder , around the pipes, and on the floor. So, I started with the boarder and around the pipes up at the roof. So, what do you think? Oncethat was done, the mud needed a day to dry before I can put in the fog. (That's the gunk that goes between the tiles and filles the gaps between the mosiac piececes.) I will do that next, right before I do the final touches on the floor.
While I was working on the shower, Katrina was working on Kris. This is how a man shows his daughter that he loves her! Kris let Katrina give him a french manacure! When he came down to check on the progress of the shower, the ironi struck me. I had rough hands with cement on them, and my husband had a beautiful french manicure! I wasn't at all jelous and I don't think he was either. That' called complimenting each others strengths and weaknesses. And Kris' manicure lasted longer than Katrinas!
That's it for now, folks. Have a good one y'all!

1 comment:

Jean said...

You continue to amaze me, Miki! I'm proud to be your mom, although you certainly did not learn any of your "fix-it" know-how from me!