Monday, August 07, 2006

Tunnel terror and a good laugh!

After our fika (coffee break or snack) we set off to drive out to the coast to see the ocean. It wasn't that far as we looked on the map, so we hopped on the bike and took off. The roads were all I hoped- windy, twisting, turning, up and down! Then we came to the tunnel... I was aware that there were some tunnels along the way, but I was not prepared for this! The roads were narrow to start with, but right before the tunnel, it got even smaller! The tunnels were not very high and had an arch on the top. The first one was looooooooonnnnnnggggg, dark, damp, clammy, cramped and very cold. It was really creepy driving through it, and I had a real hard time seeing where the sides of the road were. There were no pavement markings, no lights and because it was curved, you couldn't see the end of the tunnel.
Then the truck came! A huge tractor trailor came straight at us, driving in the middle of the road. He had to drive in the middle, so he didn't crash with the arch on the side. But this left me in a comprimising position. I had to drive off to the side of the road and let him pass. This was real fun because I couldn't see the road, the walls, the roof, or the side of the road! The only thing I could see were the lights on the truck. (Is this a John Deer moment?) We survived without a trace. I realised that I had been so scared that I didn't even toot my horn- though I almost wet myself! The next tunnel was not quite so long, and there was almost no oncoming traffic. When I the third tunnel came I had a thought. I might actually be able to see a little better if I would pull down my sunglasses! It is amazing how much better you can see when the blinders are removed!
Well, the last 3 tunnels were not at all as scary, though they were still cold and damp. It was like watching a scary movie with no sound. all the suspence is taken away.
We drove on for about an hour until TB gave me a hard time again. We found a place to stop, and I (quickly) ran into the forest to water a tree. Now, men of course have the advantage over us women in this life necessity. But add to the normal torments of clothing, positioning, and the need for paper, when there are multiple layers to be taken off to get into the right position, it can be a bit time consuming. This was the position I was in. First the gloves, then the helmet, MP3 player turned off, earpluggs out, and dismount from bike. Next it is off with the jacket, then run into the woods. (Nervous blatter makes it all the more fun!! My bladder has ADD,DAMP and a whole library of problems!!) While running, pull down zipper on leather pants, pull off suspenders. Find a place. Then I am finally at the place of most females in the same need. The only thing to remember is that the suspenders have a high back and need to be pulled out of the way. (Learned from experience!) Once relieved of the burdens of life, all that stuff needs to be put back on. More than once I was putting on my helmet only to realize that I had forgotten to pull up my suspenders. So the only thing to do was take everything off to get to the suspenders and put them on. (I admit that on occasion I didn't think it was worth it and left the suspenders off. The only problem is that when you get off the bike, the leather pants fall to the ground)
We decided that it was getting late enough to return to the room. We never did make it out to the ocean, and the last tunnel was still a bit scary, but we did have fun riding. On the way back we stopped for a meal at a resteraunt. It was nice to not do dishes or cook. We hit the sack a little early after a walk and a shower. We will be riding hard and long the next day, driving the whole way from Norway home.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Thanks for the good laugh. I was just howling laughing. If I would have tried to read it aloud to Dad, I couldn't have kept reading. And that tunnel!!!! I am really glad I am reading this after I know you returned home safely.