Wednesday, November 29, 2006

WAKE UP!!!!

After my mom had a scary run in with memory loss due to stress, I decided to take a closer look at my own health. I have been a bit concerned lately with a lack of energy, a lot of pain and being overly tired. So yesterday I had a physical done, and the results were ... more than expected.

I knew before I went in that I am over weight. I had changed some of my diet before summer and had lost a little weight, and have kept it off. But I have a long way to go.

Diabetes runs in my biological family- both sides of it. So I knew to be on the look out for it. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with Björn, so I got a fortaste of what it is like to have Diabetes. It is no piece of cake- literally! I had been feeling some of the same symptoms as when I was pregnant, so I knew it was a warning sign.

So, when the nurse said that I was overweight, I was not surprised. When she said that I had a condition that comes just prior to full blown diabetes, I got scared.

When she told me I have high colersteral, I got concerned. I had already changed my diet, and she said that I did that just in time. my numbers were just over the edge now, so they were probably higher a few months ago.

When I showed my nimbers to kris last night, he also pointed out that I have high blood pressure on top of it all. (140/80) Just a couple years ago I had 120/60, so I was a candidate for a heart attack within 10 years, full blown diabetes in 1 year and probably death in 15 years.

OK, I got my wake up call!

I had already mentioned to Kris that I wanted to get a membership to the gym, but I think I will not wait till after Christmas to do it. I will be calling today!!

Being over weight has caused me to have lots of pain in my joints, and makes it really easy to stretch ligaments and the fibers that attatch muscle to bone. I had succeeded in stretching 4 such fibers in my hips, so walking is a real bummer. Many years ago I ripped the ligaments in my left knee, so it is a sensative area. I was in a car accident and compressed the vertibre in my neck. Migrains and neck pain are a constant companion. Two years ago I over worked in a school kitchen and messed up both my elbows. (tennis elbow in the right and golf elbow in the left one) All these injuries make it hard to come up with a training program. I cat just begin weight lifting, and walking is really hard right now. So, swimmimg seemed a good solution.

So, my plan is this:

1. Minimise food intake- no more second portions.
2. only 100 grams of nuts, candies or sweets per week (to be lowered in the future)
3.start with short walks- 5 minutes out, 5 minutes home. start at a slow pace, and twice a day. Increase time and speed as weight drops.
4. Go to gym at least ½ hour, 3 times a week for swimming. (Katrina goes to school close by, so I can pick her up and take her home afterwards. Time and distance to increase sucessivly.

Future plan-
1. Pilates 20 min/day, 2-3 times /week
2. Gradually increase walking distance to 5 km in 1 hour.
3. Increase strength in muscles by weight training- low weight high repetition.
4. Increase time and distance in swimming, add water gymnastics to program.
5 Buy a new wardrobe! (Ugg I HATE shopping!)

Well, these are my intentions, my new project. Knowing that I am only a few fractions away from some very serious deseases has snapped me into a realisation. I cannot be of any help to my children or husband if I am a vegetable. Laying on the couch unable to do anything would be a real strain on my family. Thus the excuse that I don't have time to take care of myself is nullified! I must take the time to get back into shape for my family and for myself. I have been living too long saying that I never expected to live this long, and start saying , "I want to live at least 40 year longer!"

So, I would appreciate all the prayers and thoughts you have as I begin my journey back to health. Please ask how it's going if I don't write about it. Could be I am in a slump and just need a little smack on the head to get going again. (or a hammer, anvil, piano,...)

Thankyou for listening to my old woman griping about my health. Hopefully there will be good reports of weight loss and increased activity and energy. Below are the statistics so everyone knows my starting point.

height- 169cm =5'7'' weight 119 kilos = 262 lbs.
BMI 41 stomache measurment 123 cm=48½''
blood pressure 140/80 bloodfats colesteral 5,06 triglycerides 3,42
Sugar: fasting 5,7 2 hours after sugar dring 8,7
Energy level (1-10- 1 is bad) 2 Motivation: 10

3 comments:

Jean said...

I'm with you, honey. Every time I get on that treadmill I'm thinking, "What am I doing this for?" Then I think of Dad and all you kids and grandkids, and I remember what I'm doing this for. Destiny loves going to Playpals at the gym, so she does her best to get me there more often than I would otherwise.

Your cholesteral and triglycieride numbers confuse me. Is 5,06 the same as 506, etc. I'm not used to seeing commas in numbers unless there are at least four numerals.

Miki Lindmark said...

I am not sure what measurment they use. Is 506 high in the states?

Rose said...

I'm with you, too. I am fighting high blood pressure and need to lose about 20 pounds. I do work out, so that is one good thing, but my diet is not great. I just seem to lose my motivation when something really good is looking me in the face. Plus, I just like to eat, anytime, for any reason. I know I go to food for relief from stress, and that is not good either. My goal for December is to work out with weights three times a week, run or walk 5 times a week, and just try a little restraint on food. Then in January I really need to modify my eating in a major way. I'll let you know how it's going!