Friday, December 01, 2006

wet and weighted

Well, today was my second day at the gym. Yesterday I was there to meet with a trainer and set up a program. Jonas (my trainer) and I talked a while to decide what kind of program to have. We decided that I really don't need any more muscle mass or strength. Both were enough for two women! (And even some men!) Bone structure is strong and stable, as are muscle tissues. My weak link is what holds it all together- senew(muscle to bone), ligaments(bone to bone) and cartilage(those semi hard pliable areas like the nose and between the joints). So, I have 5 excersizes to strengthen my senews in my hips, elbow, knees and shoulders. I have unlimited access to a warmed up pool, a steam room, a bastu, sauna, relaxsation rooms and weight rooms. There are classes I can take with water gymnastics, pilates and streatch a little later. I am also to take a 15 minute walk once a day, 5 days a week.
Yesterday we went through all 5 excersizes and which position I need to have, which muscles to activate or inactivate. The whole rutine starts with a 20 minute bike ride. Then I work the knee/hips, then the shoulders (two seperate excersizes) then the hips again (different excersize with a giant ball), followed by hamstrings. Then it's back to the bike for a final 20 minutes.
After that I can go home or swim or sit in the bastu ...
I have already noticed a big improvement in my energy level. My afternoon naps have decreased or are absent and I am able to be up and alert later in the evenings. The kids have been a big help too. They are great about walking with me in the evenings- we take Jackie for a walk and play hide and seek with her. (The kids hide, Jackie finds them) It will be interesting to weigh in on Monday to see if anything has changed. I am so tempted to check now, but I know I may only weigh myself once a week.
Last night we were at Kris' sisters place. It was her birthday. She had cake, and I was proud to have only taken one SMALL piece! I even drank only water with it.
Well, it is time for lunch, so I will have chicken and veggies . Björn is home today, so we can eat together. Have a good one y all.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Good for you!

So I see on the December calendar that Mary Ellen made, that Kris is flying to NYC today. Sooo close. How I would love to see him.