Wednesday, April 05, 2006
The Midas Touch
Lately I have been feeling like Midas! I am using real gold leaf on Kris' motorcycle- a real chalange! First you have to put on the sizing (glue). When it cures (goes transparent after 2-10 minutes) a super thin sheet of gold leafing is put on top of it. You only get one shot at it, no repositioning. then you have to gently push the gold into the sizing and let it dry. Then you carefully brush away the excess gold and smooth the leafing that is left to a shine. You can't work on too big of the area, because when the sizing has cured, the gold has to be applied before it gets too dry- a 30 second window. The results are amazing! I like it, but it takes forever to do.
Suddenly I see myself putting gold on everything from chairs to roof molding to ..... THE DOG!!
I do get a mess of gold on my clothes, shoes and hands, so it must look strange to see me in the shop with all the gold stuck to me! Can I call this an exclusive job? or maybe a golden oppertunity?!!
Today I need to do at least the two fenders and maybe the oil tank. The gas tank and the helmet's chin gaurd are golded. But even when all the pieces are golded, I still need to put a pinstripe around each of the flames. So, I got my work cut out for me!!
Bjorn's birthday is next week, and he wanted to have a bowling party. So we will take him and 4 of his friends bowling and for burgers. I am actually thankful. That means less press for me to decorate, bake, come up with activities, and entertain. I recon I am a bit preoccupied.
Yesterday I sold an airbrush package. It included a 3 hour lesson on airbrush techniques, an airbrush, hose, knife and 5 blades, blue fineline tape, automotive masking tape, airbrush cleaning fluid, and 5 bottles of paint. COOL! The customer was satisfied, and I made a little profit! (Although till I pay sales tax, and all the other taxes, it is not that much!)
I heard back from Adult Education that I teach a water color painting class with. Some of the students have called and asked where they found me. They are so pleased with the class that they had to let them know!! So they offered me to do 2 more classes! I am excited! They are so much fun- an educaters dream. There are only students that want to be there, take responsibility for their own materials and inspiration, are motivated, ask questions and I don't have to set grades on their work! I love my life! Thanks Lord for the gift of creativity and being able to share it with others! (Never thought I'd say that! Always wondered how I would be able to make an income from painting.)
Everyone's up now so I guess I ought to get going. A full day today, playing with gold, a parent teacher confrence at 12:30 (Bjorn) and the watercolor class tonight. May the Lord of colors light your path today!
Suddenly I see myself putting gold on everything from chairs to roof molding to ..... THE DOG!!
I do get a mess of gold on my clothes, shoes and hands, so it must look strange to see me in the shop with all the gold stuck to me! Can I call this an exclusive job? or maybe a golden oppertunity?!!
Today I need to do at least the two fenders and maybe the oil tank. The gas tank and the helmet's chin gaurd are golded. But even when all the pieces are golded, I still need to put a pinstripe around each of the flames. So, I got my work cut out for me!!
Bjorn's birthday is next week, and he wanted to have a bowling party. So we will take him and 4 of his friends bowling and for burgers. I am actually thankful. That means less press for me to decorate, bake, come up with activities, and entertain. I recon I am a bit preoccupied.
Yesterday I sold an airbrush package. It included a 3 hour lesson on airbrush techniques, an airbrush, hose, knife and 5 blades, blue fineline tape, automotive masking tape, airbrush cleaning fluid, and 5 bottles of paint. COOL! The customer was satisfied, and I made a little profit! (Although till I pay sales tax, and all the other taxes, it is not that much!)
I heard back from Adult Education that I teach a water color painting class with. Some of the students have called and asked where they found me. They are so pleased with the class that they had to let them know!! So they offered me to do 2 more classes! I am excited! They are so much fun- an educaters dream. There are only students that want to be there, take responsibility for their own materials and inspiration, are motivated, ask questions and I don't have to set grades on their work! I love my life! Thanks Lord for the gift of creativity and being able to share it with others! (Never thought I'd say that! Always wondered how I would be able to make an income from painting.)
Everyone's up now so I guess I ought to get going. A full day today, playing with gold, a parent teacher confrence at 12:30 (Bjorn) and the watercolor class tonight. May the Lord of colors light your path today!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Miki, I love you! I love reading your blogs! I can't wait till you get your camera back from the repair place. I want to see this amazing gold leaf work you are doing - close up!
I just love reading you posts, too! I know that God is a God of light and surely of color, since he created it. You are doing His work!! Rose
Post a Comment